Skip to content

Getting Started

Getting started, is extremely exciting, but where do you start?  Once you have purchased land, taken on a tenancy, etc. you must register with the Scottish Government as a farmer.  Depending on the enterprises (livestock, arable, etc.) you may need to register with animal health, quality assurance bodies, the crofting commission, etc.

We have developed numerous guides to assist in, where to start….

Starting Up An Agricultural Business

Getting Registered To Keep Livestock and Claim For Support

Registering a Croft or Small Holding for Cattle and Sheep

Introduction to Crofting

Introduction to Crofting (Gaelic version)

A Guide to Buying and Selling at the Mart

A Guide to Transporting Livestock

CAGS Grant

Sign up to the FAS newsletter

Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service