Winter offers the perfect opportunity, while cattle are housed, to check ear tags and carry out a passport reconciliation. All cattle on the farm should have the correct tags and a passport. This is especially important when you want to sell cattle. Passport reconciliation is the process of checking this.
The following simple steps will guide you through the process:
- Get a list of cattle on the holding from the ScotEID Website.
- Go through the passports you have on farm and tick these off the list.
- Go through the cattle on the farm and tick these off the list, whilst also checking their sex and breed information is correct.
- Make a note of any missing ear tags and order these from your tag supplier ASAP.
- Make a note of any anomalies and deal with these individually.
Watch our video where Mungo Guthrie takes us through the passport reconciliation process:
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service