This event was extremely well received and feed-back from participants was extremely positive.
Take home messages:
- Getting to know your croft can take a long time – much like getting to know a new person. You won’t know all there is to know in a season.
- Key areas to assess – drainage, fencing, shelter, weed growth. There are many solutions to these problems, but budget and ethos will dictate much of what you can do.
- The importance of soil health cannot be overstated – this impacts on almost everything you do on your croft.
- Trees and tree planting on crofts can be supported by grant funding and can help improve many aspects of your croft – from soil health to lambing success.
- Use local experienced crofters as a source of knowledge and advice about your croft.
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service