All EU/EEA or Swiss citizens who are currently living and working in the UK and wish to continue doing so must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. It is vital that EU nationals working on farms and rural businesses submit an application for themselves and their family in order to secure their status going forward. The Scheme is open for applications currently and those who are already in the UK are encouraged to apply now. EU Nationals and their families can continue to enter the UK up until the 31 December 2020 and the scheme will close for applications on 30 June 2021.
The European Economic Area (EEA) includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
The scheme is free to apply to and includes a 3-step application process. The documents needed are as follows:
- Proof of identity (passport or national identity card)
- Proof of residence (National Insurance Number or alternative document)
- Digital photo of yourself
More details on the Scheme and the application form can be found online
All EU/EEA/Swiss citizens who arrive in the UK by 31/12/2020 must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30/06/2021
- Children (unless they have a British passport)
- People with a permanent residency card
- EU citizens married to British citizens
- Non-EEA family members of EU/EEA/Swiss nationals
The only exceptions are Irish Citizens and those with Indefinite Leave to Remain
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service