The initial meeting of Caithness & Sutherland New Entrant group 2017/2018 was held at Quoybrae Mart on Thursday 28th September at 7pm.
Stuart is available for any guidance on selling that may be required. He also stressed the benefits of selling via the mart:-
- Trusted advice from our professional team ensuring the best returns for sellers
- Marketing through press advertising, catalogues, website and social media
- Guaranteed payment on day of sale
- Competetive commission rates with commission caps
- Excellent lairage facilities for stock, both before and after sale
- Recognised excellence in welfare standards
- Direct marketing – direct from farm to abattoir
- Professional valuation services
Understand how to Condition Score your stock
Stuart explained that Condition scoring your flock can be a useful management tool. A farmer can classify ewes into groups according to fullness of muscling and amount of fat cover. While it is not 100% full proof, it is accurate enough to indicate the nutritional status of individual ewes as well as an entire flock.
Knowing condition scores, farmer can make adjustments in the feeding program to save money or prevent problems attributable to ewe condition.
Ewes can be scored several times during the year. Perhaps the most important time is five to six weeks prior to lambing.
Scoring is done by using the hand to feel for the fullness of muscling and fat cover over and around the vertebrae in the loin region. Stuart then went on to explain, with the use of pictures – the various condition levels and scores.
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service