- Ensure no water is entering the shed eg water troughs, gutters, etc.
- Where available first put in a free draining base eg rape straw, sawdust, woodchips, etc.
- Make a permanent or temporary scraped feed passage along the trough. This can simply be made out of sleepers, half tree trunks, etc. The objective is to stop the dung/slurry being pushed into the bed each time the passage is scraped out, as well as reducing the amount of straw dragged into the passage way.
- Maximise ventilation to remove damp air ASAP.
- Alternative bedding materials could include woodchips currently produced for woodburning heating systems.
Basil Lowman, email@example.com
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service