Dairy cattle & good soil management working together
Csaba Adamik, Senior Dairy Consultant spoke about reducing acidiosis and buffer feedings, and what to look for in a good buffer feed.
Lorna MacPherson, Dairy Consultant spoke about how to feed wet silage going into winter, and what to look for in the cows for sign that they’re getting enough nutrition.
During the afternoon session, Gavin Elrick, Specialist Soil and Drainage Consultant spoke about soil compaction, pH, and nutrient status of the soil. Some samples of soil that had been brought in provided an interactive feel to Gavin’s discussions. He was able to highlight the structural differences between samples.
- The importance of getting the basics right, good drainage, good pH and good nutrient status.
- Nutrition, look for the signs of how rumen is functioning.
- Tweaking winter ration to maintain a good boy condition score and keep healthy, happy and productive cows.
- Milk Manager News September 2017
- Topics: Livestock
- Technical note (TN656): Soils information, texture and liming
- This technical note offers information on soil, including classification, texture, PLANET Scotland and lime recommendations
- Topics: Soils
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service