Alastair Beattie opened the meeting by introducing guest speaker Sandy Ramsay, who specialises in setting up and administering contract farming agreements.
Sandy started by outlining the three most common forms of joint venture farming: contract farming agreements; share farming agreements; and partnership agreements. The defining features of each form of agreement were then outlined – e.g. share farming involves two businesses on one farming unit, with all income being paid into a “splitting account”, before being allocated in agreed proportions to the share owner (landowner) or the share operator (contractor).
Sandy went on to discuss the mechanics of how each agreement operates and supplied examples of agreement documentation, before finishing off by focusing on how the finances may be structured within the different agreements.
- Joint Venture Farming, Sandy Ramsay presentation
- Sandy Ramsay's presentation gave an overview of contract and joint farming contracts.
- Shared Farming Budget
- An example of what a budget for a shared farming agreement could look like.
- Example Contract Farming Agreement
- An example of a contract farming agreement.
- Example Limited Duration Tenancy Agreement
- An example of a limited duration tenancy agreement.
- Example Short Limited Duration Tenancy Agreement
- An example of a short limited duration tenancy agreement.
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service