- Nitrogen recommendations for cereals and winter oilseed rape include an adjustment for expected yield.
- Nitrogen recommendations for potatoes take account of length of growing season, variety group, soil N residues and haulm killing.
- New trials suggest that there is no advantage to a split application of nitrogen to potatoes compared with all nitrogen applied at planting.
- Take account of fertiliser nitrogen and crop produce prices.
- Nitrogen recommendations take account of NVZ Action Programme rules and Nmax.
- Careful planning that maximises the efficient use of fertiliser and organic materials can help reduce the amount of N that is lost as nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas.
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service