The first West Lothian Soil & Nutrient Network farm meeting
This meeting was hosted at West Binny by the kind permission of Graham & Bert Russell.
Craig Bothwell, SAC Consulting, started with an introduction and brief background of the farm. This was followed with a walk around the farm looking at slurry storage. A challenge was set to get the slurry tower back in action to make better use of organic manures.
Following a satisfying lunch, ther group discussed the soil analyses for West Binny and how savings might be made through the use of organic manures. Technical Notes available on the day are available to download from the links below.
For further information on the West Lothian Soil & Nutrient Network, please contact Craig.Bothwell@sac.co.uk
- Visual Evaluation of Soil Structure (VESS) Score Chart
- This is a downloadable copy of the Visual Evaluation of Soil Structure (VESS) score chart for use in-field.
- Topics: Soils
- Technical Note (TN656): Soil Information, Texture & Liming Recommendations
- • Web based access to information on your soils on your farm is described. • Soil texture classes of mineral soils are described and identified by hand texturing. • Liming recommendations for different soils and managements are tabulated.
- Topics: Soils
- Technical note (TN668): Managing soil phosphorus
- Efficient soil P management is challenging due to the varying ability of soils to mediate and regulate plant available forms of P. Farmers and land managers in Scotland are now able to access farm level information about their soils making it possible to provide more accurate P management advice.
- Topics: Crops and Soils
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service