Welcome to CropCast, your go to podcast for all the latest information on arable crops. Each month, SAC advisor, Tiffany Mactaggart will be joined by a range of industry experts, bringing you timely updates to help you make decisions in the field.
Producer George Gauley, Editor Iain Boyd, Executive Producer Kerry Hammond, in association with the Scottish Government.
In this episode Tiffany Mactaggart is joined by SAC crop consultant Peter Lindsay to discuss upcoming disease management strategies for spring barley, how winter oilseed rape is progressing along with tips on desiccation.
Tiffany will also be joined by SAC potato consultant Kyran Maloney to discuss potato blight spray programs for the season ahead.
Tiffany will also be joined by beef & sheep consultant Kirsten Williams to discuss forage crop planning for the winter ahead.
For more information, visit www.FAS.scot
Linked FAS Resources
Spring barley & Winter Oilseed Rape
SAC Crop Protection Report
SAC Potato Bulletin
Forage Crop Vlogs
Forage Crops Technical N0te – TN733: Forage Crops for Livestock
- Covering why grow forage crops for livestock
- What crops are available
- Sowing & utilisation dates
- Qualities of the crop – (Kale, Rape & Hybrids, Stubble turnips, Swedes, fodder beet)
- Nutritional value
- Planning, seed bed & sowing, sowing rates, method of sowing (Direct drill or broadcast etc)
- Soil & nutrient management (N:P:K)
- Pest control/disease control
- Utilising forage crops for livestock
- Feed allocation advice
- Livestock management on forage crops
- Top tips for growing success
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service