Taking on a new croft, one of the first jobs will be to assess what the ground is like, what it is capable of, and how to get there. This can typically involve drainage, liming, and weed control to get the land functioning to its potential. In this video, we see Aoife and Jake attempt to tackle their bracken infestation by ‘bracken bashing’.
- Liming Calculator – https://www.fas.scot/rural-business/crofts-small-farms/soils-2/liming-calculator/
- Drainage – Where do you Start? – https://www.fas.scot/downloads/drainage-where-do-you-start-practical-guide/
- Opportunities to Control Rushes – https://www.fas.scot/article/opportunities-to-control-rushes-2/
- Weed Management in Grassland – https://www.fas.scot/downloads/tn643-weed-management-grassland/
- Bracken Control Group – https://www.brackencontrol.co.uk/
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service