Join the Soil Association Scotland on the Isle of Lismore for a special crofting meeting of our Plant Teams field lab, looking at growing multiple crops together for better outcomes, also called intercropping.
- Find out about new research into heritage grains like Bere (an ancient type of Scottish barley) and which species mixtures are particularly suited to the West of Scotland
- Visit Baleveolan Croft on the Isle of Lismore where Mike Hyatt and Clare Haworth are in their first year of trialling peas and oats and a Uist seed mix
- Learn about seed sovereignty and food commons
- Get practical advice on growing and harvesting an intercrop and find out more about trials across Scotland
- Hear from speakers Peter Martin (Agronomy Institute, Orkney College), Maria Scholten (Seed Sovereignty), Ali Karley (The James Hutton Institute’s EU-DIVERSify project) and Robin Walker (SRUC’s EU-ReMIX project)
- Free lunch and hot refreshments provided.
Booking is required.
For more information call Clem on 0131 370 8150 or email.
Field Lab run in partnership with The James Hutton Institute and SRUC.
Sustainable crofting study tour: Accommodation and travel bursaries available to enable additional visits on Lismore on Sunday 16th June, including The Sailean Project who use Holistic Management to improve soil health and grass productivity, selling 100% grass-fed beef and lamb, pastured chicken and eggs direct to customers. For more information contact Maria Scholten – 07388086438 / email@example.com
Run by Soil Association Scotland with funding from the SRDP Knowledge Transfer and Innovation Fund (Scottish Government/European Union), with partner funding from Quality Meat Scotland, Scottish Forestry, Innovative Farmers and The Prince of Wales’s Charitable Foundation. This event is also supported by the James Hutton Institute and SRUC and part-funded by the Scottish Government funded SEFARI Responsive Opportunity Initiative.
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service