This event has been rescheduled to run on Thursday 10th December at 13:00
This is the final in our Water Margin Management webinar series and the focus is on farm drainage and ditching.
With the recent periods of intense rainfall, it is now, more than ever, essential that farm drainage is kept operating at its optimum level. Ditches are a key element in managing drainage and surface water flow from your farm and surrounding area keeping drain outflows clear and helping protect the land from flooding.
The webinar will contain presentations from Derek Hanton and Seamus Donnelly from SAC Consulting and Pete Wright from the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, plus a video of some ditching work carried out in Easter Ross. There will be plenty of time for questions and discussion.
The topics to be covered include:
- Rules and regulations for cleaning ditches and watercourses of different widths
- When and where SEPA authorisation is required
- When is the best time to carry out work
- How to minimise impact on wildlife
- Methods for clearing ditches
- Bank slopes for different soil types
- Removal of vegetation and silt
- Managing field drains; linking into and maintaining drain outflows
- Culvert maintenance
- How to minimise silt pollution
The webinar is free to attend, but please register to secure your place using this link. Once you submit your details your registration will be confirmed by email along with details of how to join the webinar on the afternoon of Thursday 10th December.
Sign up to the FAS newsletter
Receive updates on news, events and publications from Scotland’s Farm Advisory Service